Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bienvenidos a Los Naranjos


Finally, the day I had been anticipating since the day I landed in El Salvador - my first day in the community. We left the FUNDAHMER office in San Salvador around 9am (despite planning to leave at 8am) and arrived in the community a little after 10am. I savored the drive there, mentally recounting the last time I made this drive and the last time I was in the community - in March of this year, with a delegation group from my University but that stay was only for 2 days. However, even then I was wondering, when I would be able to return... but I knew I would be returning. And then there was my last day in the community last year...I remember saying goodbye, walking one last time across the soccer field and all the women coming up, many crying, saying goodbye. I struggled to find the right words to say, I wanted to promise I would come back, but I didn't want to be yet another "gringo" making empty promises. I knew I wanted to come back, but I admitted that it could be the last time I would see these people that meant so much to me. That day I left in August of 2007 was not so different from today, in August of 2008. As before, it was Armando and me in the little green pickup on a beautiful (but hot) Salvadoran morning, except then I was saying goodbye and now I am going to say good-morning... here I am to stay.
All the women, kids (and yes they let out school for an hour for my bienvenidos party), and men, who weren't away working, were gathered at the restaurant - aka, community meeting place (which is a new addition since last year!). Deicy, the president of the cooperative, gave a little opening speech, welcoming Armando and I, then the kids did several "artistic points" and for the last few dances they made me get up and dance with them! Only for the kids in Los Naranjos will I get up and show everyone my complete lack of latin rhythm. The kids love to dance and they seem to love it even more when I make my attempts at doing the meringue or salsa with them. After the dancing, Armando and I each made a short speech expressing gratitude for their hospitality and excitement for working with the community. The welcome party finished with a lunch for Armando and I of fresh Tilapia from the Tilapia ponds in the community. I am not going to lie, most of you know I don't like fish, and so I was not at all looking forward to this Tilapia lunch. But, surprisingly, it wasn't too bad. Fresh fish has a completely different taste than fish we buy at the grocery store; plus, you can make almost anything good fried! I figured I better start now liking the Tilapia because it is probably what I will be eating on every special occasion from now on in the community :)
Before saying goodbye, Armando and I walked around the community together, making a few house visits and he stopped for a long visit at my host family's house. While there, he put Marielos (my 5 year old little sister) in charge of taking care of me - which I must say she took very seriously!
I have to share a little more about my Salvadoran family... I live with Ricardo and Alicia and their two little kids, Marielos (5) and Diego (1 1/2). Alicia is 28 and Ricardo is 29; so they did not have kids until much later than most people in the community. A random interesting fact about my family is that Ricardo can cook AND make TORTILLAS! He is the first Salvadoran man that I have met who can make tortillas. One night him and I made the tortillas for dinner, and sometime he is going to cook for us. On another note, Diego is just one awesome kid. I don't think I have met another 1 1/2 year old that is as animated as Diego. Sometimes I like to just sit and watch him. 
I was a little worried about what family I was going to end up living with because it makes such a difference in your daily happiness, as well as your community involvement. I think it is perfect that I ended up with Ricardo and Alicia. Their amazing hospitality was obvious before I even spent a single night with them. Before Armando was allowed to leave their house, he had to carried 2 giant orchids with him that Ricardo had carried from the forest and planted at his house. The two that he gave to Armando, he could have sold for $5 or $6 each - the equivalent of a full days pay for each one! The thing that is even more amazing is this type of generosity is not uncommon here. 
My first few days in the community and with Ricardo and Alicia were a little awkward. However, I think this is unavoidable. Anytime you move in with a family (especially one that you hardly know) and move to a place like the "campo", there is going to be an acclimation period. Even though I had been in El Salvador for 2 weeks already, city life and community life are two very different experiences. Just getting used to living without running water, and electricity, and using a latrine is a big change. Then there is the change from living by yourself and on your own schedule to living with a family and adopting to a completely new daily rhythm. My first big shocker was going to bed at 8pm! By 8pm we are almost guaranteed to be in bed or in the process of getting ready for bed and by 8:30pm we are in bed with the lights out! In case you are wondering about the "lights out" part, we do have a solar panel (thanks to FUNDAHMER and Michael Jenkins) which powers one lightbulb. Also, I have to say that by the end of the week, I too was semi-tired by the time 8:30 rolled around...

No comments: